New Principal Announced for Wilby

School will see many administrative changes.

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Principal Announced for Wilby

Devynne Wilson, Staff Writer

The Waterbury Board of Education has named Dr.Michelle Baker the new principal at Wilby High School. The transition is expected to take place soon.

Dr.Baker is currently an assistant superintendent of Waterbury Public Schools. She had been an assistant principal at Wilby in 2012.

Current interim Principal Mr. Joseph Begnal came out of retirement from Waterbury Public Schools and has served as Wilby’s head administrator for the first two months of school following the resignation of former Principal Mr. Carey Edwards. Mr. Begnal will remain at Wilby when Dr. Baker arrives. Superintendent Dr.Verna D. Ruffin announced the changes in an email to staff on Tuesday, Oct. 29.

“In the best interest of our students, I have made several staffing changes across the District,” Dr. Ruffin wrote in her letter. “The transitions will begin this week. While change can be challenging, my decision embraces our continued commitment to engage our students with a rigorous academic curriculum, and prepare them to thrive following graduation. These changes align with our Portrait of a Graduate initiative, a collective vision that articulates the community’s aspirations for all students. The changes also represent my commitment to utilizing our dedicated teachers and administrators thoughtfully and strategically.”

Also announced in the letter was that current Wilby Vice Principal Mrs. Lauren Elias, who is serving on special assignment at Wilby, will become principal at Wendell Cross elementary School. Finally, after 40 years in the District, Mr. Michael LoRusso, who is also on special assignment as an assistant principal at Wilby, will retire from Waterbury Public Schools.